Step one to eating healthier: Define your nutrition goal. Is it to lose weight? Gain muscle mass? Decrease your risk of certain diseases? A free session with our registered dietitian can help you home in on your personal nutrition mission. From there, it’s easier to figure out what to do next.
Once your goal is defined, it can seem overwhelming, so keep it simple and start with a plan. Create your week’s menu, by picking out your meals and snacks for each day. The fewer decisions you have to make on the fly the easier it is to stick to your plan.
- Get organized! Keep yourself organized by having a place to write down your week’s menu, for example on a new kitchen chalkboard.
- If a dish works then add it to consolidated list of other successful meals, so you have more known options in the future.
- Remake your family favorites by adding healthier ingredients. Whenever possible try to swap out problem foods for more nutritious substitutes. For example, take the classic spaghetti and meatballs – to make this dish healthier use high fiber pasta, add more vegetables in the sauce, and make the meatballs with lean meat.
- Try theme nights! Wednesdays you can try a fish dish and Sundays are a great night for tacos. With established themes you can try different variations and add in extra nutritious ingredients.
- Switch up your menu by looking at weekly sales. A quick glance at the sales flyer can help you save $ while planning ahead.
If you are looking for new recipe ideas try these websites:
Keep in mind our eating habits are sculpted by repetitive behaviors but those habits can be changed! If you are looking to improve your nutrition start simple, create a plan, and go from there. The more you incorporate weekly planning the easier it will get.
Let us help you! Meet with our nutrition expert for a free nutrition session to get started.