There are actually two holiday’s during the first week of April. The first, of course, is April Fools day. However, the second is literally on the 2nd, and it’s national Peanut Butter and Jelly day!
PB & J is a classic American flavor combination; to some it’s still a weekly staple, while to others it blast from childhood.
Of course this holiday highlights the simple go-to, but there’s another reason why you might want to devote an extra night to good ol PB&J…
Eating a PB&J could help decrease your carbon footprint. It may seem like a bit of the stretch but this campaign promotes adding more plant-based meals, like a PB&J, to decrease our intake of animal foods. Plus, peanut butter and other plant-based foods can give us a nutritious boost!
The simple slogan is “a healthier planet, one meal at a time.” These little choices can help, as well as other environment friendly actions like recycling or taking public transportation.
Here are some new takes on an old favorite:
- Bread of choice
- Pepper jelly
- Spicy peanut butter:
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or hot sauce of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
High Fiber PB&J:
- High fiber bread
- Choice of jelly
- Peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed OR chia seeds OR hemps seeds
- *Helps add in extra fiber and omega-3’s
Power Veggie Bowl with Spicy Peanut Sauce:
- ½ cup of beans (black beans, chickpeas, lentils, or another type of beans or legumes)
- ¾ cup of quinoa (or brown rice, or wheat berries, or another complex grain)
- 1 cup of steamed non-starchy vegetables, examples: broccoli, green beans, or peppers (frozen bags are an easy way to add in the veggies)
- Peanut sauce: mix and stir all ingredients together, heat in the microwave for ~30 seconds at a time, until warm enough for personal preference
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ tablespoon water
- ½ tablespoon hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon of apricot jam